Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Chocolate Tasting

That's right, a chocolate tasting! Tonight, our FRG had a wonderful company, The Cocoa Tree, come to Ft Campbell from Nashville and bring samples for us to taste. I felt so sophisticated to be at a tasting.

Bethany Thouin had five truffles for us to taste, along with the chocolate that went into each one. We were educated on the way to "taste" chocolate:

Look at it.
Break it and hear it "pop."
Smell it.
Let it melt in your mouth.
Nibble.
Bite into it.
Oh my word. Fabulous!

Beck's Margarita

First, this one was made with white chocolate. I only thought I liked white chocolate before I tasted this. Amazing! You could tell that it was real quality chocolate. I heard someone at our table describe it as "buttery." It was. It was just delicious. AND that is lime on top. AND it had salt on the bottom--so you had "the whole sweet-salty thing going on." ;) It was absolutely delicious.

Renee's Chile Pepper

Yes, that is pepper on top. And there was more inside. I took a bite like a big girl. While I could appreciate the pairing of milk chocolate and hot peppers, my mouth was on fire!

Deborah's Chambord

This one was dark chocolate (inside) and raspberry. The little disks beside this truffle are pieces of the chocolate that went into it. Those are what we looked at, broke to hear the "pop," smelled, etc. This one was so good. This one was my favorite.

Tina's Dark Chocolate

Now, this one took me a minute. The cocoa powder on top is cocoa powder. No sugar. Not sweet. So you get that on your tongue and it's like dirt. But then you get past that and taste the sweet, rich chocolate inside. Then you can appreciate the sugarless powder.

Amy's Balsamic Raspberry

I was looking forward to this all night! After tasting the first two and seeing how amazingly the different flavors worked with the chocolates, I was very interested to see what this one was like. It had the raspberry like the third one, but it also had the balsamic taste. And it was perfect with the dark chocolate. This one is my new favorite!

1 comment: